Wednesday, December 15, 2010

nine

In early 2001, Lucas was 7 months old, I had just come off of working a long-term substitute position, and Kyle had a new job. We were not planning on having another child for a while when all of a sudden - surprise! We were in shock. But, it didn't take God by surprise. 

Nine years ago today a precious, tiny, 5 pound baby boy came screaming into our lives. We weren't prepared for his arrival. He wasn't supposed to be here for 6 more weeks. He was a Christmas surprise. But, he wasn't a surprise to God.

We were told he'd spend some time in the NICU. "Babies born this early do well, but be prepared for him not to go home with you." I can still hear those words clearly, and feel the anxiety that I had.

Noah entered this world crying loudly and was very alert. He did not spend even a minute in the NICU. Everyone was surprised. But not God.

During his preschool years, we noticed some odd things. Habits, routines, speech patterns. The way he never entered a group of kids to play, but would stand by the fence and pace back and forth during preschool recess.

"He's just shy. He'll catch up. He's just a late bloomer," everyone told us. Over the next few years, though, it didn't get better. 

When Noah was seven, he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome - a high functioning form of Autism. I had long since figured this out through my own research, but hearing it from a "professional"? It rocked my world. It took us by surprise. But, it didn't surprise God.

Noah is the light of our family. He has such a pure heart. Not big on words, but when he does speak, you should probably listen. It's most likely worth listening to. Though he doesn't talk about it much, his understanding of spiritual things is almost deeper than mine. His baptism was a lesson for me straight from God. (you can read about that here)

He is super smart and loves all things computer. He's not big on athletics, but give him Lego Star Wars or Super Hero Squad and he's completely satisfied.

He rarely complains (unless it's at dinner. That's another post for another day) and is very easy going as long as he has his routines and video games.

He has a sense of humor that rivals anyone around. He can twist words to make jokes that I never would have thought of.

God has used this little boy in my life in big ways. He has shown me that my plans? They're not the best. My timing? Not perfect. But God's plans and timing? They are always perfect. He is in control and nothing slips past Him. Nothing.

Noah, As you grow I pray that you will continue to follow after God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Always remember how special you are for you are "fearfully and wonderfully made." I love you more than you will ever comprehend and I thank God for giving me the privilege of being your Mom.

I love you, Mama. 












2 comments:

  1. What a testimony. Thank you for sharing! To God be the Glory for this precious boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I did not know this about Noah. I will always remember his baptism - it is one of my all time favorites!

    Any yes - God's timing is always perfect! May God continue to shine through Noah.

    ReplyDelete