Monday, February 24, 2014

13

Dear 13 year old son,

So today hasn't been such a great day. You think I'm much too strict, too nosy, and too overprotective. I tell you what you can't eat, can't wear, and can't watch on television. I monitor the websites you go to and put filters on anything that even has a chance of connecting to the internet. 

I even banned the trick you came up with on the trampoline. That definitely didn't make me your friend. You stomped up the stairs mumbling under your breath. And I'm fairly certain it wasn't to rise up and call me blessed.

What I want you to know, son, is that your Dad and I?  We aren't the fun police, contrary to the rumors you hear. We aren't here to make your life a prison sentence that terminates when you turn 18. We aren't even here to be your best friend. (WHAT?!?!)

One day, I'm guessing, you're going to see the reason behind it all. You may never tell us, but I guarantee at some point you'll find yourself saying "I get it." 

Until that day please know that we set boundaries because we've seen the world out there that fights for your heart and mind and allegiances. We know what can happen if you eat pizza and hot dogs every meal for 10 years. We also know that you honestly believe you're invincible. We have rules and limits in place for you to protect you. God has given us this amazing responsibility to parent you. With His direction, we do what we do. 

We are crazy about you.

Love, 
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment