Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Dear Noah, 

Fourteen years ago, you surprised us by entering the world 6 weeks early. Time has flown by and you have gone from the tiniest baby I've ever seen to a young man who is taller than me. You continue to amaze us with your insight, your witty humor, and your passion for truth. You have always been content to stay in the background, and I admit, sometimes you get overlooked. Your quiet nature and love for alone time don't give you the edge at being noticed in this crazy house full of people. But when you decide to talk, I stop and listen because it's probably something profound - or it's going to send me on a wild chase to find the answer to a question I never even would have thought to ask. 

At 14, you love all things technology related. Your biggest love right now is computer programming. You have taught yourself Java - and some other things I didn't even know existed. You are very interested in how and why things work the way they do. I cannot ever answer your questions and feel like I repeat "google it" hundreds of times a day. 

You have taken up learning Swedish. I'm not exactly sure how this love for all things Nordic came about. Maybe it has something to do with the few many trips we've made to IKEA? You tell me that one day you want to live there (Sweden. Not IKEA.) - which I give you my full blessing to do because if I've got to travel to see you a few times a year, it might as well be a place like Sweden!

Noah, you have overcome more than anyone will ever know. I won't go into details here, because it's your story to share with the world, but this year has been a challenge for you. However, we have watched God prove his faithfulness and power in your life over and over. Remember, son, when you think back to these things, that you are fearfully and wonderfully made and loved completely. By your parents, of course, but by God even more. He has such amazing plans for you. Your dad and I cannot wait to see what those are!

I wasn't going to decorate a cake this year for your birthday. Honestly, I was trying to find the easiest route possible to a birthday cake. Which meant letting Martins take that job off my hands. It was not convenient for me to decorate a cake.  But when I suggested "How about we just run to Martins and see what they've got? Or, let's just do a pie! Or cookies!" The face looking back at me was the baby-faced, big-eyed 3 year old upset that he had fallen off his bike, and I remembered the promise I made to myself that your birthday would never get lost in the shuffle of the Christmas season. That even when it was easiest to do a quick "happy birthday" and the token double gift (this is for birthday AND Christmas) - we would sacrifice the time and effort to make your day special and to celebrate you. So, last night I made you a birthday cake with your specific directions. And I will continue to make you a birthday cake for as long as I'm able and you request it. You, my son, are a delight. You are a gift from God to us and all who know you. Today I celebrate you. 

I love you, Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment