Monday, July 3, 2006

When did I grow up?

Last Thursday marked 31 years of my existence. I can't say that I was too excited. Last year, I hit 30 with great fervor. But, 31....well, it seems I've gone over the edge and won't ever be back.

I think it hit me when I remembered a doctor's visit that took place over a year ago. I had been for a sore throat or something very minor and the doctor said, "Let me give you my over 30 tip sheet" I tossed it aside making mention that I was not even 30 yet. Anyway, on the sheet were things to eat, exercises to do, annual tests/exams to be done.....things that I never would have thought should begin at 30. So, is that when your body starts breaking down? When it says, "enough. I've been holding up this long and can't do it anymore?"

In my mind I don't feel 31. I don't feel any different than I did in college. I don't feel old enough to have 4 kids and have been married for 7 years. But I am.

31 isn't old. It isn't even close to 50 or 60 or 70 (not that 50 is old, or 60 either....but you have to start somewhere!). But for some reason, it's been a tough birthday to want to celebrate.

No, I'm not in a state of depression. Just taking a journey back and wondering when I grew up.

1 comment: