Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No Shoe Noah

After 10 months of waiting, we finally took Noah in for an evaluation today.

We dropped the other kids off at a friend's house (thanks guys!) and headed out. As we were getting Noah out of the van I looked down and noticed that he was shoeless. Here's where I'd love to say that this was the first time we had gone somewhere and Noah did not remember his shoes, but it's not. We've been shoeless at the pumpkin patch, apple orchard, many restaurants, Walmart .....

So, Kyle scooped him up and off we went.

I was a bit nervous about the appointment. After fighting for so many years to find someone to see him AND accept our insurance, I just wanted to be heard. I didn't want to be dismissed as a paranoid mommy.

Dr. Schub could not have been nicer. He listened. He asked questions. He talked to Noah and related to him very well.

He told us that - by his definition - Noah has Aspergers.

We knew that. But I can't explain how great it is that someone with a degree has confirmed that we are not crazy, paranoid parents.

He gave a recommendation for a type of therapy as well as a psychologist and Occupational Therapist who do that type of therapy. We are quite certain we will not be able to afford it, but I have already started researching and I think with a little self teaching it is very doable at home.

Once again God has proven faithful and I am praising him for the blessing of being Noah's Mommy. What an awesome job.


No comments:

Post a Comment