Thursday, September 16, 2010

it's a wild life

I've always prided (am I making up new words, here?) myself on being "outdoorsy". I grew up in the country. I was outside from sun up to sun down every day possible. I love hiking and being in the mountains. I'm moving up the success ladder of tent camping - on the still-need-a-real-toilet-but-can-do- without-a-shower level.  I was the organizer of many Cedar Grove community frog races and an avid collector of bugs back in the day. Having 3 boys who would live in a tent and chase bugs 24/7 if it were up to them has brought me much joy.

But put a spider or snake or mouse within a mile of me and chaos will ensue.

When we moved out of suburbia, I knew our chances of wildlife viewing would be much greater. I just had no idea that on a daily basis I would be encountering every species of bug known to man. Roaches? Got 'em. Little tiny unknown black bugs? Yep. Ants? Sure thing. Worms? Much to my boys' delight. Spiders? Way too many for my comfort level. Snakes? Not until today.

Yesterday the boys came running in to let me know they had found something that I! HAD! TO! SEE!!! I ran outside to find this in his nice geometrical web between two trees.                                                



I knew we had happened upon a rare rainforest species of insect, but turns out it's just a common Spinybacked Orbweaver. Common or not, that creepy thing was not what I wanted 30 feet from my house, but the boys convinced me to leave it. Last check it was still there hanging out. Pun intended.

This morning we were outside for PE (I use that term loosely). I saw some Ivy that was growing into the yard, so I grabbed a piece of the vine and pulled. When I did a section of pinestraw was moved. I saw something and wondered how a piece of rope got under the pinestraw. As I got closer I noticed that rope was coiled up and had a head and eyes and wriggled around. I tried not to scream. Really, I did. Two of my children came running to see. One ran inside with a vow to never return and one stood still. I think he though if he didn't move the snake may not see him.

species photo

So it turns out that snake is not poisonous. It's a common Brown snake. Common. Like the Spinybacked Orbweaver. Last check it was not there. Which makes me a bit anxious. As does the knowledge that these snakes have 3-30 young in late summer.

If you need me I'll be duct taping any open vents and cracks leading from the backyard into my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment