Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Adoption

On June 29,1975 a baby girl was born. That day was filled with two sets of tears. One of sorrow from a mother's heart torn by the decision to give her daughter a better life. Another from a mother's heart that had longed for a child for many years and would now receive that gift.


Thirty years later, June 24, 2005, another baby girl was born. Again two sets of tears flowed - one from sorrow and one from joy. 


I was the daughter who was adopted in 1975. I grew up knowing the meaning of adoption. I heard the stories of how my parents prayed for a baby and I was the answer to their prayers.  Years later, I had the opportunity to meet the woman who chose to give me life instead of ending mine to convenience hers. I will forever be grateful. 


I was also the mother crying tears of joy in 2005 as I received a call that our daughter had been born. After having 3 biological sons, we knew God was leading us to adopt our next child. We started the long process and wait. God brought our precious Eliana home 3 months after she was born. 


We have spent the last five years in awe of the miracle of adoption. Ellie is as much our child as our boys are. God has bonded our hearts together as a family in ways I cannot express. 


Ellie knows where she was born. She has heard the stories of how her parents prayed for a baby and she was the answer to our prayers. Even though she may never get the chance to meet the woman who gave her life, we do have pictures and a message that her birth mother gave her. I'm sure that as she gets older, she will treasure these things.

James 1:27 says "Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress..."


Though we may not all be called to physically adopt a child, it is clear that we are to have a heart for orphans. 


How can you help? Pray. Pray for the thousands of children across the world who have no family. Pray for the women who are today struggling with the decision of whether or not to give life to their child. Pray for the families who are desperately trying to find funding to grow their family through adoption. 


Give. Adoption is costly. Our own family is still paying off debts occurred from adoption fees. Legal fees, country fees, agency fees, travel fees - adoptive families often times are left struggling to pay these. Show Hope is one of the many amazing organizations set up to help families fund their adoption.


I am blessed to have experienced adoption from two different angles. This precious face reminds me everyday of what a gift adoption is. It is a thread that runs deep through our family and I am forever changed.







2 comments: