Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Who am I?

Dear kids,

This week two monumental things have happened. First, I sat back and let all of you decorate the Christmas tree. Without any direction from me. Secondly, we got a puppy. If you know me well, you understand the significance of each of these. It's like I don't even know who I am anymore.

I'm not sure where the giving up control of Christmas decorating kicked in. I brought all the Christmas boxes down from the attic, and the next thing I knew, I was sitting on the couch watching each of you place ornaments on the tree. You were each very purposeful in where the ornaments hung. There were lots of smiles, lots of noise, and lots of joy.  I realized while I was sitting there, that the world didn't fall apart because I let go of control. And even though I probably would have done things differently, the tree looks nice.

As for the dog...... never in my right mind would I have agreed to an 8 week old puppy in the house. Especially since we already have a cat inside. Which proves one thing - senility is setting in. You should probably take advantage of this time of life before I'm in a retirement home playing cards with myself.

I do hope that years from now (should the Mayans have missed the date of the end of the world) when you're reading this, that you won't remember how much it bothered me to have an ornament on the tree out of place, or how long I tried to hold out having another animal amongst us - but that you will remember the joy of our home and how much I love each of you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment