Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

My kids were in public school for 13 days. Except for Jacob, who just couldn't get over the possibility that he may get an answer wrong, they all adjusted wonderfully. The boys were all at the top of their class and blowing reading level tests out of the water. Their teachers were extremely nice and good at what they do. Three of them loved PE, recess, and eating in the cafeteria (especially ice cream!). The other one loved computer lab. They hated coming home to homework every afternoon and waking up so early, but what kids love that?

To put into words the reason we brought them back home - I'm not sure I can do that. I've put off writing this blog for a few days now. So many people will have so many different opinions and I'm not one to run head-first into conflict. But, since this blog is my way to journal our life and my thoughts, I'm going to try to explain our decision.

From the moment we found out we would be parents, Kyle knew he wanted me to homeschool. Coming from the viewpoint of a public school teacher, there was no way I was considering that. My kids would not be the isolated, weird kids that I had stereotyped in my mind. We did the pre-school thing and life was cruising along.

The year Lucas turned 5, we had a dilemma. Since his birthday is Sept. 7, he missed the cut-off for Kindergarten by 6 days. But, this boy was more than ready for school. He was well beyond what most sets of Kindergarten skills included and I knew he couldn't wait another year to start school. So I got a few books and we "did kindergarten" that year. And we've been "doing school" at home since then.

Teaching the older kids with younger ones running around wasn't always easy. In fact, it left me in tears many days. I vowed that once Ellie was in kindergarten, they would all go to private school.

Ellie entered kindergarten this year. And the money for 4 kids in private school? There was a big sign on our bank account that said "funds not available." Since we had just moved to a much smaller area, I decided to check out the public schools.

I found out they weren't stellar. In fact, if you just looked at their test scores you would probably question that anyone at the school knew what they were doing. But the more I researched, the more I realized that in a lower-income rural area schools are often full of students who have little to no support at home. And it shows up big time in their education. As a teacher, I knew that the best teacher could be in the classroom and still not have perfect test scores.

The teachers seemed nice enough, the kids looked normal enough - so I pushed and pushed my husband until he relented.

Maybe that was my first mistake. :)

I signed them up and they started school 3 weeks ago on a trial basis. We would wait until Labor Day and discuss their progress.

And since this post is so incredibly long and I must go fulfill my promise to the kids by taking them to the bakery downtown and getting smiley face cookies I will continue later ......

No comments:

Post a Comment