Tuesday, August 3, 2010

School

Tomorrow morning marks a seriously huge life change for our family. All 4 kids will be in school.

Almost 10 years ago, we made the decision that I would be at home with our kids at any cost.
I was fine with that. There was nothing else I wanted to do but stay home with my babies.

But, as those babies grew and school came into sight, the decision was harder. After much prayer, homeschooling became our way of life. Honestly, it wasn't my idea and I was not wholeheartedly into it. God has a way of changing hearts, though, and soon I was completely on board. I loved homeschooling. Yes, there were many days that ended in tears - both mine and the kids - and days I called Kyle saying "I QUIT! I can't do this anymore!!" But isn't that life? Everyday doesn't always meet our desire for a perfect life. We re-evaluated our decision at the end of each school year to see if homeschooling was the way to go, always ending up at the same conclusion. Overall, homeschooling was, and still is, the best thing we have ever done.

When it was time to talk about school decisions last spring we knew that there was a huge possibility we would be moving. My immediate thought was that I'd never place my beloved offspring into those schools. After all, everyone we had talked to said private schooling or homeschooling was the ONLY way to go here. So it seemed pretty firm that homeschooling would, once again, be our life. And that was great.

Except that I couldn't get those public schools out of my head. I visited the school, talked to people, and prayed, prayed, prayed. I agonized and changed my mind 3 times. Finally, after a lot of prayer and a heart to heart with Kyle, we registered the kids in the public school. Lots of people thought (and still think) we are crazy. But we've had a lot of support too. And since signing them up, I've heard glowing things about the school.

Yesterday was meet the teacher day. I was so encouraged when we left. The kid's teachers all seem to be wonderful. Noah is in a class with another little boy with Asperger's and an inclusion teacher to help him through difficulties he'll have. Jacob's teacher seems to be so much fun and very nurturing and Ellie's Kindergarten teacher's personality was just what you'd imagine a Kindergarten teacher to be. Lucas' teacher seems really firm - just what that boy needs! God is so very good and faithful.

So tomorrow morning I will load up the kids and drop them off. They're nervous, but excited to start this new adventure. I will keep myself together until dropping them off, and then I'm sure the dam will break loose. It's very hard to cut those apron strings, but I know my kids are ready for this. They know "whose" they are and are ready to live out the gospel in their own way.

God certainly has a way of changing our plans. Our life is a testimony to that. Quite an adventure, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. Sooo excited for this new adventure for you guys and to hear all the stories...I will be praying for you tomorrow....I know the feeling.....love you...and....when do you need the carpet cleaner?? I can bring it to you when you are in town sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, this is a big step, I know! I feel the same as you do at the start of every year. I hate to see them go! I will pray that they will do well and make that one special friend in class to sit with. Let go of any guilt, get involved in the school, and enjoy some quiet time. You have earned it! Praying for you...
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, teachers LOVE parents to get involved, so you won't be outside of the adventure. I can't tell you how many cupcakes and cookies and stuff I baked for Emily's school, and you have four :) lol You will stay busy enough to keep your mind off them being gone.

    ReplyDelete