Thursday, August 5, 2010

The first day of school has come and gone and we all made it through. Getting the kids up at 6:30 yesterday morning was a breeze. Which is a complete miracle since homeschooling never started before 9:30am. Morning people my kids are not.

I had timed the trip earlier in the week and it took exactly 9 minutes. We left at 7:25 to give us a little extra time since there would probably be a little more traffic. And traffic there was. Oh, the traffic. Did I mention the traffic??? Whatever person decided to put 2 elementary schools, the middle school, and highschool all on the same road should have his degree revoked. The school starting times don't even vary - they're all the same. So the entire county is filing through one street. We were not prepared. The kids arrived at school after 8:00 as did half the other kids and at least one teacher.

Lucas would not let us walk him into his classroom. Evidently 5th graders do not enjoy Mommies hugs & kisses in front of friends. Who knew? :) The other kids were definitely okay with us walking with them. So we did. I cannot express what it's like to watch my kids go into the unknown all alone after being at home under my watch for so long. But I was proud of them for being so brave and I knew they were ready.

I met Amy in Madison for lunch, which was a wonderful thing. Had I come home alone there's no telling how many old videos I would have watched of the kids in their younger days while singing "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof. I kid - there would have been no singing. But the videos would've definitely been going on.

After a 45 minute wait in the car line, I finally saw my kids. The smiles I saw when they spotted me were priceless. Those 4 smiles will forever be ingrained in my memory because it was affirmation from God that they were going to be okay. Like He promised, He had been and will continue to be with them. And they're in much better hands when I turn them over to Him than when I try to hold on tightly to them.


All of the kids had much to say about the first day - Lucas made a good friend already, which doesn't surprise me since I think the whole reason that child was put on this earth was to talk to people. He liked his classes okay, but recess was awesome, evidently. And, though the youngest in the 5th grade, he is not the shortest, so life is good.

Noah had a good day. He almost lined up with the wrong class at recess (why does that make me almost cry?) but found his way back to where he belonged. He liked 3rd grade, but can't wait for Christmas holiday. Poor child doesn't realize he'll have 3 breaks before then. :)

Jacob had a good day in 2nd grade and gave it a B+. He had to do spelling which he claims is his worst subject. But the cafeteria food smelled really good and those chicken fingers and french fries looked delicious and can he please please eat in the cafeteria one day?

Ellie's report: We had fun. We played on the playground.
And that my friends, is Kindergarten in a nutshell.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Rebecca! So glad we were able to have some girl time in Madison too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all Rebecca....you are so right.they are so much better off when we realize God has them...remind me to tell you my story of that for this upcoming year....talk about having to relase control....ugggg...love ya...miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand you wanting to cry over him almost being in the wrong line. I cried the first day cause Emily misplaced her snack money so she couldn't get one and her friend shared her's with her. It hurt my feelings so bad. I'm glad they had a good day though :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You made it through the hardest day! I can so relate to that feeling of dropping them off, and I didn't even homeschool. It's like a knife in the heart! I can also relate to those end of the day smiles. The best! Thanks for the reminder that they are in God's hands. I hope it is a great year for them.

    ReplyDelete