Tuesday, October 19, 2010

running in circles

Training for my Thanksgiving race continues.

Friday evening Kyle and I took a quick trip to get myself some fancy new shoes. Even though it wasn't pleasant to hand over that much money for shoes to do something I really don't enjoy, it was a necessity if I wanted to run more than 5 minutes without my feet and knees feeling like they were being tortured.

I walked out with Brooks Women's Ghost 3 Running Shoe. They weighed at least 10 pounds less than my other ones and I was positive that my "long run" the next morning would be like running on air.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. Since Mimi was staying with us, Kyle and I took the opportunity to run outside. We stepped out into a cool, 45 degrees for our long run. (And by long I mean 2.5 miles. A marathoner I am not.)

About 5 minutes into our run I realized that running in circles on an indoor track is probably not the best way to train for an outdoor race. I have since started calling our neighborhood Mt. Olympus. The mountains hills - oh how they hurt! I was not the best running partner that morning as every part of me was screaming STOP! As Kyle was running along the lake singing to the fish, I was struggling to breathe.

At the end of the run I sat on the front steps wondering what I have gotten myself into. My fingers were frozen, my lungs were burning, and my muscles felt like jelly.  But the good news - my feet and knees felt as good as ever. The new shoes are amazing!

Today I run 2.5 miles again. This time on the indoor track since I have no one to watch the kids, and they love annoying the college students who are there to actually work out. Flat, indoor tracks may not be good practice for the race, but I bet I leave with a smile and my lungs in tact.

One day I'll conquer those hills. One day I'll run while singing to the fish in the lake. One day I'll stop complaining about running.

I just hope that one day happens in the next 5 1/2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment