Friday, December 5, 2003

I was frightened today by a trip to my local grocery store.



After retrieving all the items on my list I headed for a check out. With only 2 to choose from, I took the one with the lesser line.



As I made my way closer to the conveyer belt (is that what those things are called?), I was distracted from events taking place in front of me by magazines and tabloids planted purposefully in my view.



When it was my turn, I began unloading my groceries from the buggy (I've been told this is a 'cart' but my Southern Mississippi roots refuse to allow me to call it such).



As I was doing this, the cashier asked "Ma'am did you find everything you were looking for?"



I shook my head yes to avoid spitting the peppermint out of my mouth as I spoke.



Obviously she didn't notice the head shaking.



"Ma'am, did you find everything you needed?" she asked again, a little more emphasis in her voice.



This time I shook my head and answered vocally "uh-huh"



Again, she didn't hear me and as I placed the last item down on the belt she said,

"I asked you, Ma'am, did you find everything you needed?



Now, this was a little more than just emphasis on her words. It was the gruffest, strongest vocal empasis that I probably have heard since I was a child and had just shot out my parents camper window with my brother's BB gun.



I felt scolded.



"Yes ma'am. I did find everything I needed. Thank you."



"Good. Have a good day sweetie," she said with a smile.



Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde if you ask me.



No comments:

Post a Comment