Wednesday, November 12, 2003

the luck of the Irish

No, I'm not Irish, but I am eating a bowl of Lucky Charms.



My children are just now getting into breakfast cereal. Until now, it's been cereal bars (i.e., NutriGrain) or cheese toast.



My problem with kids' cereals is this: as you walk down the cereal isle in the grocery store, every box contains the words "a great source of 10 Vitamins" or something similar. Great, the average consumer thinks. However, when you look at the nutrition facts on the side of the box most of these cereals contain at least 15-20 grams of sugar in a serving. How big is a serving? Usually less than 1/2 cup, which isn't much.



So, my question is this- Do I feed my children the sugar packed cereal because it's something they willingly eat and it does contain small percentages of at least 10 vitamins, or do I forego the cereal and supplement their cheese toast with a vitamin?



No comments:

Post a Comment