Friday, October 11, 2013

Cleared for travel

Throughout August, we waited for news that we were cleared to travel to bring Ellie home. Hurricane Katrina came through at the end of August, wreaking havoc on New Orleans and south Mississippi. Because my parents lived in south Mississippi, the effects of the hurricane, as well as driving gasoline and generators to my family, became top priority for us.

We knew our paperwork had gone into PGN (equivalent to our Attorney General's office). Many times families would be kicked out of PGN for trivial things, such as the doctor signing the medical form with a middle initial, but his letterhead not containing the initial in his name. The issues would have to be corrected, and then everything resubmitted to PGN. Some families' paperwork got lost in the PGN world with no news for months on end. So we understood this part of the process was unpredictable and had no time frame.

A couple of weeks after the hurricane, I was walking through Target and looked at my phone to see that I had several missed calls from our agency. I called back and found out that our paperwork had come out of PGN! We had made it through in 3 weeks with no kick outs! We still had to wait on the "pink slip" which was clearance to travel, but we could see light at the end of the tunnel. God was working on our behalf.

We decided that I would leave on September 19 for the duration of our process. Our agency had a great apartment in Antigua, Guatemala where adopting families could stay. I should be there for a week at the most. Maybe only a few days. Kyle would join me as soon as I had a definite date to travel home.

I packed my bags (and a suitcase for Ellie!) and flew out to Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment