Tuesday, October 15, 2013

sunshine and hair bows

Since I'm sure you've been up all night wondering about the state of the weather here, you'll be relieved to know my ark building has come to an end. The sun finally came out yesterday afternoon, and the kids and I ran outside to enjoy it - afraid it might leave as quickly as it appeared. 

Now that I have set your mind at ease, let me continue the story.

Ellie's foster family was indeed waiting inside the lobby of the hotel. Our agency rep wasn't there yet, but I couldn't wait. I walked up and used my very limited to spanish to talk with Maria and her husband. I didn't ask to hold Ellie yet. They seemed very protective and a little teary about what was going to take place. 

Eventually, though, she placed Ellie in my arms. I couldn't believe how much she had grown. I mean, I knew babies grew. I had three at home who were somehow not babies anymore. But to see her at 5 weeks and now at just shy of 3 months - she was so bright eyed and happy. She had smiles for everyone, but only her foster brothers could make her giggle. Maria tried to tell me about Ellie's routine and personality. I'm sure we were quite the pair trying to communicate without a translator! 

Once our agency rep arrived, however, she translated for us and made sure I didn't have any other questions. Each of Ellie's foster family came and gave her one last cuddle and kiss. There was so much love in that room for this one little girl I couldn't stand it. If only I could bottle it up for her to have for the times in her life she felt alone and not so lovely. God had watched over this child and shown her his amazing love and protection over her already. What a testimony that will be to her as she grows!

We all said our goodbyes, and I took Ellie up to our room. 

(I guess I should mention that the original plan of staying in the apartment in Antigua had been changed. Since our trip should only last a few days, our agency decided it was best to stay at the designated hotel - the Westin - for our trip.)

Here we were. Ellie and I in a hotel room in Guatemala City. My new daughter. This time I wouldn't have to hand her back over, she was coming home with me! It was very surreal. So, I did what any new baby girl mama would do after having three boys. We played dress up with lots of pink clothes and hair accessories! 


Here's Ellie's reaction to it all.
Ellie funny face.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment