Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 2 - My Story (part 2)


My last year in college, I lived in a mostly freshman dorm. I didn’t mind, since I wanted a room by myself. That year, I spent a lot of time with freshman girls in my dorm. I was used to the rotating door of girls in and out of my room. There was one that I spent more time with than others, though. Her name was Rachel*. We were friends throughout my senior year, but when I graduated we lost contact.

After graduation I got a job teaching fourth grade about two hours away from home. I moved to a new town, began a new job, and became engaged within six months. Around the end of the school year, I came home to work on wedding plans. My mom sat me down on the living room sofa and handed me a letter. As I read it, my head spun. It was addressed to my parents and was from from my birth mother. Apparently, her daughter had attended the same college and during family weekend, she saw my name on an orchestra program. She wanted to meet me.

Could this be real? I was in shock. Amazed that this was actually happening. Afraid of the next step. As I read the end of the letter, my heart almost stopped. Her daughter? Well, her name was Rachel. My freshman friend who had lived just down the hall was my half sister. My mom cried. I honestly can’t remember what my reaction was. I do remember running to my room, pulling out my yearbook and finding Rachel’s picture. We definitely looked similar - how had I not noticed?

A lot of things happened in the years following, but I’ll spare you the details and skip to our lives today.  I have met my birth mother and half siblings (two sisters and a brother). Everything hasn’t been roses, and we are probably still learning how to navigate these sometimes awkward waters. But knowing my birth mother - well, sometimes I still am in awe of the story God has woven.  Rachel and I are now great friends. Our families are friends. We have vacationed together, celebrated holidays together, and run a 5K together. We didn’t grow up together, but our lives are permanently connected through a wild and twisted life story. Only God could bring us full circle. Today I celebrate. I celebrate the gift of life I was given. I celebrate God’s redemption, His sovereignty, and His promise that He is able to do “immeasurably more” than I can ask or imagine. 

*name changed

Rachel and I after our 5K Color Me Rad race.






1 comment:

  1. I have started following your blog-amazing how God works. I cant wait till the next entry. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete