Monday, October 14, 2013

I'm busy building an ark

Listen. I know I said I was blogging for 31 days. But then we had out of town guests for the weekend, and blogging took a back seat to life. Plus, it has rained for the past five days. Seriously, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be able to find time to blog when I'm busy collecting gopher wood for my ark.

Still, here I am to share another piece of our story.

I left for Guatemala on September 19. I remember having an entire exit row to myself after the three hispanic men sitting there were asked to find other seats because they couldn't speak english "in case of emergency." The irony wasn't lost on me, however, that "in case of an emergency" those three spanish speaking men would've been much more help than me. Had that door been opened and the inflatable slide activated, I would've been the first person out of that plane. 

When the plane landed in Guatemala City, it suddenly hit me. I had to make it through the airport and find the hotel shuttle alone. Put me in any airport in the US and I could've found my way anywhere. But this wasn't a US airport. This was the Guatemala City airport and navigating a third world country's airport wasn't on my top 10 list of things I wanted to accomplish.

I finally made it out of the airport, with all my luggage, and fought my way through the throngs of begging children to the hotel shuttle. 

Once on the shuttle, all the emotions of the past few months hit me at once. I spent the whole adoption process trying to stay numb to it all. But, in that shuttle bus, I felt the tears burning my eyes and that familiar lump in my throat and I couldn't hold it back. All the stress, worry, excitement, fear, and joy began to flow, and I'm sure the driver who came in to check on me thought about calling the authorities. 

Fortunately, he didn't. After a few minutes and a harrowing ride (anyone been to a Central American country and wanna give me an "Amen?"), I walked into the hotel lobby where Ellie's foster family was waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment